This tutorial explains step by step how to burn a CD or DVD in Windows 10 in two different ways without using third-party CD / DVD burning software.
You can use the built-in CD / DVD burning function in Windows 10 to burn movies, videos, music, photos, documents, and other data to a CD or DVD.
Built-in CD / DVD burning function by default in Windows 10
As in previous versions of Windows, Microsoft Windows 10 has a built-in disc burning feature that lets you burn all kinds of files and folders to a CD or DVD without using third-party CD / DVD burning software.
Here are some examples of supported file types:
- Audio: MP3, WMA and WAV
- Videos: AVI, MP4 (MPEG-4), MKV, WMV, MPG, FLV, VIDEO_TS, etc.
- Photos: JPG (JPEG), PNG, GIF, etc.
- Documents : PDF, TXT, DOC, DOCX, ODT, XLS, etc.
If you want to burn video files to DVDs using the built-in disc burning function, be aware that this DVD can only be played by computers and DVD players that support video formats that you burn to a DVD. DVD.
If you want to burn MP3 files to a CD using the built-in disc burning function, be aware that this CD can only be played by computers, CD players, DVD players and car radios. loads the MP3 audio format.
If you want the CD to play on any player, you must use Windows Media Player to burn the MP3 files to an audio CD.
Burn a CD or DVD under Windows 10
This method works for all types of files such as audio (music), videos (movies), pictures (photos), documents, and other types of files.
Tips for burning an MP3 CD:
- If you want to have an organized MP3 CD, you need to create folders on your computer and copy the MP3 files into these folders before starting the burning process.
- It is recommended that you burn your music to a CD-R rather than a CD-RW (rewritable) because not all CD players can read rewritable CDs correctly.
- Place all MP3 files or folders in a folder and make sure that the total file size of this folder does not exceed the capacity of your CD (usually 650 or 700 MB). To display the file size of a folder, right-click the folder and choose ” Properties “.
Note: When you burn VIDEO_TS files and folders to DVD, it will create a DVD video that can be played by any DVD player. However, most modern CD and DVD drives support a variety of file formats.
1. Insert a blank (empty) CD or DVD into the CD / DVD burner of your PC.
2. Open the file explorer (Windows Explorer).
3. Navigate to the location on your computer where the files/folders you want to burn to a CD or DVD are stored.
4. Select all files/folders
5. Right-click the selected files/folders, navigate to Send To, and choose your CD / DVD Drive (for example, a DVD-RW drive (D 🙂or a CD-RW drive (E :)).
Note: If you want to burn VIDEO_TS to DVD, copy the complete VIDEO_TS folder to the CD / DVD burner.
A small Burn Disc window will appear.
6. In Disc Title, enter a name for your disc.
7. Select With a CD / DVD drive.
8. Click Next.
Your files/folders will now be copied to your PC’s CD / DVD burner and once copying is complete, the CD / DVD burner drive opens in a new window.
If it does not open the drive in a new window, open the File Explorer and click on the drive in the left sidebar.
9. When you have finished copying files/folders to your CD / DVD burner, click Drive Tools .
10. Click Finish Burn.
Windows 10 will now burn your CD or DVD.